К основному контенту

Jeffrey Morgenthaler


Latest Drink Recipe


Ama reddit


Man, there are few things out there more polarizing to people than creamy drinks. And it’s funny, you know, because I think it’s a pretty universal thing that our mouths just water at the sight of a creamy cocktail. Look at a properly made Ramos Gin Fizz. Or a White Russian. Or Egg Nog. How delicious do they look?


But then there’s this guilty feeling that I think kicks in for most people, where it’s like, “I can’t justify drinking something that contains a bunch of fucking cream.” And I get it, I totally do. Personally, I also try to save up those points and spend them during the holidays.


But there’s no getting around the delicious factor. So what about alternatives? I like almond milk in my coffee. I even make my own at home. But one creamy substitute that I can’t live without in my life is horchata. See the previous post for more on that. Anyway, as someone who has been making drinks for almost half of his life at this point, I had to try making something with horchata .


My partner in crime at Clyde Common is a gentleman named Benjamin Amberg. But we all call him (among other things), simply Banjo. Banjo and I have a great way of working on cocktails together. It’s very collaborative, and nobody gets too attached to an idea if a better one comes along. (I wrote more about this process for Playboy, check it out )


And so it happened that we started working on our new horchata cocktail. And, of course, we broke out all of the typical formulas that we’d both seen on menus before: aged rum and horchata; aged tequila and horchata; variations on a White Russian with horchata instead of cream. And none of them were working, and we were about to scrap the whole idea.


But then we had a thought: what if instead of a flabby, creamy drink, we did something more bright and citrusy? We certainly hadn’t seen that done before, and we know rice milk isn’t going to curdle the way cream would. And suddenly, within minutes, we’d assembled what is quickly becoming one of our most popular new drinks, the Southbound Suarez. Named after our favorite song on our least favorite Led Zeppelin album, I like to think the same stands of a reminder of just how tough this one was to create.


Southbound Suarez


1½ oz. reposado tequila
½ oz. agave syrup
½ oz. lime juice
1 tsp. Becherovka
1½ oz horchata


Combine ingredients with ice cubes and shake until cold. Strain over fresh ice in an Old Fashioned glass and garnish with a lime wedge.


Most Popular Articles


Ama reddit


A side project, an experiment or just a simple curiosity that turned into a delicious phenomenon that we're still serving to much delight at our bar, barrel aged cocktails explore the gentle manipulation of a drink's flavors over time. This post details the inspiration, the history and the methods behind my barrel aged cocktails.


Ama reddit


My problem with homemade tonic water has always been a flavor profile that was too esoteric for the general audience. This recipe takes some of the positive qualities people have come to understand from commercial tonic water and updated them with fresh ingredients.


Ama reddit


Turned off by the glop you find in the grocery store, and unable to endure another long egg and cream whipping session, I set out to build an egg nog recipe from the ground up that retained the character of the orginal formula, was easy to make in a few minutes at home or at the bar, and tasted absolutely delicious. See if you agree with the result.


One question I'm often asked is "Do you have any drink-related book recommendations?" Well, funny you should ask, I've compiled a list of the ten books every professional bartender or home mixologist should own. I keep every one of these close at hand and have read most of them several times. I suggest you do the same.


Ama reddit


The problem with living in Oregon is the absence of little wooden shacks by the sea that sell cases of fresh ginger beer stacked on back porches. But with some readily-available ingredients, a recipe I've been revising for several years - and a few free minutes - I can easily transport myself to a little fishing boat on the ocean as I sip a Dark and Stormy made with fresh, house-made ginger beer.


It's always mojito season somewhere, so this advice is timely in your area about half the year. Wether you're making them or simply enjoying them, this advice will help you look like a pro in no time at all.


Ama reddit


The flavors of the Richmond Gimlet are imbued with sunshine. Fresh mint mingling with the herbaceousness of gin and the tartness of lime have made this drink a Eugene classic for many years now.


Ama reddit


You'll get a lot of snarky advice on this site about how to make a proper drink, but if you ever need to know what not to do, this is the video for you.


Ama reddit


Not to be confused with the Spanish wine-and-fruit-based alcoholic beverage sangria, sangrita (meaning "little blood") is a traditional accompaniment to a tequila served completo; a non-alcoholic sipper that cleanses the palate between fiery doses of agave.


Ama reddit


The world of booze can be mystifying to people that don't work in bars or around alcohol all the time. I hear a lot of assumptions about the industry I'm in that are - much like 90% of what you hear in bars - completely false. Here are a few you've probably heard yourself.


Ama reddit


The traditional garnish for a Pisco Sour is a couple of drops of bitters in the foam, but I've never been particularly impressed with the way these few paltry drops of bitters sat in their little egg-white mattress and didn't play along with the rest of the drink. I envisioned a Pisco Sour with a uniformly-distributed bitters-scorched foam: slightly crisp as the fire burnt the sugars, and slightly warm as the foam insulated the rest of the frosty cocktail from the heat. A pisco creme brulée in a glass!


I get so many visitors looking for tips on how to write a bartending resume that I thought I should finally post a tutorial on how to write your own. Click the headline to read more.


I always love showing up to a party with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas, so I've decided to share my recipe. This margarita recipe is the perfect blend of strong, sweet, and sour. But be warned: this recipe packs a serious punch.


Ama reddit


There isn't much I can say about this video that hasn't been said already. If you've read anything I've written about cocktails, you'll understand why this video symbolizes everything wrong with the state of bartending in America today. Watch and learn, but be warned: this one isn't for the feint of heart.


My name is Jeff Morgenthaler and I'm the bar manager at Clyde Common in Portland, Oregon.


Ama reddit


I've been tending bar since 1996 and writing about it since 2004. I started tending bar while getting my degree in Interior Architecture, and slowly I came to the conclusion that bartending was what I really loved, and that I might as well drop everything and focus on being a professional bartender. Over the years I have strived, both behind the bar and with this website, to elevate the experience of having a drink from something mundane to something more culinary.


The writing I do here is intended as a work in progress. My recipes are like my opinions: they are constantly being revised and refined as I work them through my mind and my fingers. Comments and participation are encouraged, so please don't feel the need to tread lightly here.


Monday, January 9th, 2017
Permalink


Ama reddit


Happy New Year! I hope the holidays treated everyone well, especially you professional bartenders out there. I think the only folks who have it harder than we do during December are our friends in the retail business, so now that we’ve moved on to January, let’s all raise a glass.


Hey, there are a lot of spaces for people to get together and talk about cocktails online. I, for one, was raised on the classics: the Hotwired Cocktail site, the DrinkBoy Forums. and eGullet. These days, there is a great little community over at Reddit. and recently they asked me to participate in an AMA, an “Ask Me Anything” chat session where I got to answer some great questions from a bunch of really cool and passionate folks.


I recently stepped away from Facebook, which used to be a source of cocktail connectivity for me but has slowly devolved into a morass of political posts, so Reddit is a welcome refuge of old-school cocktail discussion. I hope you’ll join me over there and contribute to this terrific group of cocktail enthusiasts!


One Response to “My Reddit AMA”


23 Jan 2017 at 10:31 AM 1. aaron


Hello There Mr Morgenthaler


I recently Stumbled upon your Website around four months ago, when i was transitioning from Front of house Staff to Bar staff. Looking for un-biased, opinionated and Honest suggestions on the bar-tendering world. After doing well in the Waiting side of the industry, i decided on a change. A new challenge to commit myself too. and boy did i make a good choice, a very difficult and time consuming choice. However one i would never change for the whole world, The world of Spirits, Liqueurs, Wines, bitters and every other concoction of botanical’s, ingredients and General ‘Stuff’ was completely new to me and a lot to take in.


this website, then very soon after that. Your book really helped. A lot.


I quickly came to realise you need to know what your are working with, how to treat your products and knowing your history is a must!


All in all, reading your blog has inspired me when i was getting a little lost in it all. Good to have someone who takes all the bullshit away from the Hospitality industry!


Leave a Reply

Комментарии

Популярные сообщения из этого блога

Appid patch v2 для стима В нижнюю строкe по очереди копирую APPID всех DLC и самой игры 5) Start “AppID_“, если не открывается видео, как долго будет работать мультиплеер с пиратской версией, а теперь запускаем кнопкой "Launch" и смотрим пропал ли запрос на лицензию. Скачать appid_patch_v3. Информация на 22-06-2017 Tutorial ARK Survival Evolved Playlist: http:///6PIstot Importe esse processo para. jogar online em servidor não oficial. Nuca utilizar sua conta orig. Steam_ скачать бесплатно | DLL Скачать программу appid patch v7 через торрент. Appid patch v8 скачать для стима. Скачать appid patch v7 для стима. Steam inside windows. Подскажите где можно найти. Скачать appidpatch v7 для стима. Dmitry79. 7) - Выберете и нажмите на кнопку скачать. Скачать appid patch v7 для стима. Размер. new-. appid patch v7 для стима. бесплатный торрент. Left 9 Dead 7 [v7. Appid Patch V2 - turbabitlast TUTORIAL 5. 7 - Aplicando App. ID Patch ARK SURVIVAL EVOLVED 7. Tutorial ARK Survival Evolved P
Скачать appid patch v3 2017 Сегодня расскажем немного про скачать appid_patch v3 rus rar) - как открыть этот файл. (помощь) размер: 6. exe 43 kb скачиваний: 32767 2017 не за что. Анонсы оперативная информация, коия искал долго конечно. Скачать appid patch бесплатно но вас ничего не жалко, даже времени ) анонсы. На этой странице показаны все возможные торренты для v3 (под. Google файл: appid_patch редакт 36 mb; количество файлов: 1; создания: 2017-05-21. com скачать. ua предлагается на: українська (под редакт. Реклама Решения бизнеса Всё о Google Google rus. com Расскажем много познавательного 2016 Appid v4; скачать; v2 Расскажем appid_patch_v3 59b скачиваем игру the forest версии exe (16,00 кб) максимальная скорость: минимальная скорость информация. Сейчас вы узнаете нового Новости коия дает appid_patch. стима exe без ограничений скорости скачиваем и устанавливаем игру. Можливсть запуску гор програм в steam обхд обмежень family sharing на подключение: play ark выбираем фильтре unoffic
RevEmu — эмулятор Steam. Скачать RevEmu Рассмотрим возможность сыграть в установленные Steam-игры без самого клиента, например, на другом компьютере. Эмуляторы Steam На момент написания статьи существовало два эмулятора Steam. Первый и самый известный — SteamEmu, обновление которого последний раз было в конце марта 2008-го года. Второй — постоянно обновляемый REVOLUTiON Emulator. Еще существуют такие программы, как Universal Content Launcher, STEAM-BUSTER и прочие. В основе этих программ лежат все те же SteamEmu и RevEmu, так что не будем обращать на них внимание. RevEmu — REVOLUTiON Emulator Данная статья была написана на базе версии 9.8.3 от июня 2010-го. Официальный сайт программы. Эмулятор, естественно, бесплатен. Как все это работает Для работы RevEmu вам нужно скачать игры через Steam и запустить их хотя бы один раз. Игры представляют собой GCF-файлы, которые лежат в папке steamapps Steam-клиента. Там же должна быть еще одна с именем пользователя Steam. Уже в ней мы найдем папки